Saturday 12 January 2013

School Dilemmas



So I'm off to church in the morning. Trouble is I'm not religious at all, I'm doing it so my kids have a chance of getting into a good school. I actually feel very uncomfortable about it because I said I would never do anything like this, and it makes me a total hypocrite. I think its wrong to go to church if you don't believe in God and certainly not just so your kids can go to the attached school. I've been quite vocal with my friends about how wrong I think it is, both, because I'm not religious and because I shouldn't have to do this to get my child into a good school. But after a phone call to the local council they have told me that despite living 0.4 miles from a very good state school, the catchment area last year was only 0.2 miles. Meaning that Amelia would end up going to a school that not only wasn't walkable but is not a very good school.
A friend on mine whose daughter goes there is looking to pull her out and get her in a new school next term because she's so unhappy there.


So my options are; do nothing, cross my fingers and hope for the best and if we don't get into the local school the put her in the crappy one and try to pick up the slack at home. Or give up my sunday mornings twice a month for the next year and hope she gets into the very good C of E school.
So far Hubby and I have agreed we will try out the church tomorrow and see how it feels. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment